Frequently Asked Questions

What is the FFA?
Posted by: Jeremy Greene

FFA is a positive example of what works in education.The National FFA Organization is a dynamic youth organization that changes lives and prepares students for premier leadership, personal growth and career success.Today, over half-a-million student members are engaged in a wide range of agricultural education activities, leading to more than 300 professional career opportunities. Student success remains the primary mission of FFA. The Jefferson FFA's annual membership typically ranges between 110-140 students.

What does the acronym FFA stand for?
Posted by: Jeremy Greene

In a word, nothing...Although FFA was created in 1928 as Future Farmers of America, the name was changed to The National FFA Organization in 1988 to represent the growing diversity of agriculture. Today the letters FFA do not carry the previous acronym, however still provide the name recognition that this prestigious organization has developed over the past 83 years.

I do not live on a farm, can I still be in FFA?
Posted by: Jeremy Greene

Absolutely. The vast majority of FFA members do not have a farming background. The role of the organization is to expose students to the opportunities and leadership skills needed to thrive in all aspects of the agriculture industry. Production farming represents less than 1% of America's workforce, however a multitude of other agriculture careers involving processing, service, marketing, entrepreneurship, sales, transportation, research and development, environmental sciences and management, etc. make up the majority of career options in agriculture. The agriculture industry as a whole makes up approximately 20% of the nation's job market - one in five American workers is involved creating in the American food supply.

Who belongs to FFA?
Posted by: Jeremy Greene

FFA members can be found in every kind of community, from downtown Chicago and New York City to rural Shenandoah Junction, WV. Any student in grades 7-12 who is enrolled in an agriculture course may join FFA . More than 70 percent of our members are from rural non-farm, urban and suburban areas, with the remaining 30 percent coming from farming communities.

Is FFA extracurricular?
Posted by: Jeremy Greene

No - FFA is not extracurricular, rather it is co-curricular! The program completes a three-part model of education. Classroom instruction is applied to hands-on opportunities called supervised agricultural experiences (SAEs). SAEs include activities such as starting a business or working for an established company. Classroom learning and SAEs are further reinforced through curriculum-enhancing programs within the community. FFA holds a federal charter. Two of the top three FFA executives are employed by the U.S. Department of Education.

What are the benefits of joining FFA?

FFA membership opens doors for members to travel, meet new people, interact with industry professionals and educational institutions. Additionally, the FFA award over two million dollars in scholarship money annually, not to mention the availability of monetary rewards for awards and competitions.

FFA members can look forward to unlimited success in life. FFA students are future chemists, veterinarians, government officials, entrepreneurs, international business leaders, teachers and premier professionals in numerous other careers. The personal growth, leadership, and career success skills developed through FFA serve a student well throughout life, regardless of the individual career path.

© 2018 Jefferson County Schools. All Rights Reserved.